Posted by: Addison – Sep 27, 2012
There are over 50 espresso drinks that can be ordered from most cafe menus--there’s a pretty good list on Wikipedia. But is it all just pseudo-Starbucks mumbo-jumbo, or is there really a difference? And what should you order when faced with a list of hard-to-pronounce coffee names? Here is our personal list of the top five coffee drinks that are perfect for any time of day.
1. Cafe Americano- The Americano is typically two shots of espresso with hot water added, although the amount can very depending on the shop. The iced Americano is extremely refreshing and perfect for a hot day when you need a big pick-me-up. Make sure to double-check that your drink will be milk-free; some more corporate American places make it with milk instead of water.
2. Cafe Breve- Similar to an Americano, this drink is made by pouring hot espresso over half & half cream. Perfect for when you are in the mood for something a little creamier and tastier then the Americano, but without all the syrup and flavor infusion. Some cafes may call this by a different name, but it shouldn’t be too hard to get the barista to whip one up.
3. Dirty Chai- Wholesome, creamy chai tea with a shot or two of espresso really hits the spot when you can’t decide between tea and coffee, or when you want a flavored latte drink but without any syrup. The bold tones of the espresso perfectly complement the subtle spices in the tea. If given the choice between spiced or vanilla chai, go with spiced. It works much better with the espresso then softer, sweeter vanilla.
4. Cafe Mocha- You can’t go wrong with two shots of espresso, steamed milk, and chocolate. Usually the chocolate is flavor syrup, but some cafes like to use coco mix. The best thing about the mocha is that the chocolate mimics the flavor of espresso while bringing out its softer tones. Other espresso drinks with syrup can taste overly sweet or have too many wacky flavor combinations going on, but the mocha is usually a crowd-pleaser among those who like sugary drinks and more straight-forward blends.
5. Cappuccino- This Italian drink is the pinnacle of coffee-drinking pretentiousness, but it is really good. Half steamed milk and half espresso topped with milk foam gives you just enough milk to take the edge off of the espresso without drowning out all the flavor. In alcohol terms, it’s more like a shooter then a mixed drink. Not only is the film pretty-looking when it has cool patterns done on top, it also acts as a protective layer to keep the coffee warm.
By Addison Herron-Wheeler/Originally Appeared at ilovestickyrice.com