As we end another week behind closed doors, a list of resources to help avoid disaster and stay sane seems highly appropriate. Here’s one RVA Mag has put together to help you keep it together.
At this difficult time, it’s tough to sift through all the information coming at us in an overwhelming flood in order to find the things you really need. Worse, there’s always the problem of “unknown unknowns” (the things you don’t even know you don’t know) to contend with. This is an anxiety-inducing time, and we at RVA Magazine get it. That’s why we’re presenting this list of resources to help you get started on getting past all the social media hype and learning the real story. From mutual aid to finding ways to enjoy our stir-crazy times in quarantine, this list should be the last word on staying sane and avoiding disaster during this uncertain time.
- Resources for Virginia Workers, Families, and Businesses Impacted by COVID-19
- Link to VCU School of Social Work Staff Council Resources for Teleworking, Homeschooling and Surviving the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Link to VCU YDSA’s COVID-19 Mutual Aid and Resources list (includes list of demands for VCU and place to sign petition if you are a VCU student/faculty/staff member).
Mutual Aid and Other Basic Needs
- Richmond VA Support List
- Emergency Funds for Artists and Freelancers
- Internet and Phone
- Comcast COVID-19 response: Offering free WiFi for two months to K-12 and higher education students. All Xfinity hot-spots are free to the public during this time.
- AT&T COVID-19 response: Offering open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low-income families.
- Verizon COVID-19 response: Offering free international calling to most countries. Customers should call to receive temporary plan upgrades, including data options.
- Sprint COVID-19 response: Offering unlimited data to existing customers and allowing all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge.
- T-Mobile COVID-19 response: Offering unlimited data to existing customers, and, coming soon, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge.
- Charter Free Internet offer for 2 months: Offering free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
- GRTC suspends fare collection and allows backdoor boarding (until further notice)
- Richmond Mutual Aid supply drive
- Richmond Service Workers Fund application
Have Fun Resources
- Richmond local: Urban Hang Suite IG Live Open Mic (Thursdays at 7p)
- Richmond local: Richmond Story House is collecting short writings about people’s life during this time. You can also read other people’s stories here.
- Queer Your Queue: Check Out These Livestreamed Performances and Events
- Transgender Law Center is hosting virtual community gatherings
- The Front Porch: Virtual Gatherings for the #LGBTQSouth
- Haymarket Books – 10 free ebooks
- Netflix Party (chrome extension to watch Netflix shows at the same time as other people, virtually)
- TwoSeven (watch other streaming things, together, virtually!)
- Passing Time During The Pandemic
- Principles and Elements of Emergent Strategy
- Generative Somatics guide to surviving the pandemic (including free videos of somatic practices)
- 13 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books By POC That Could Be The Next ‘Game Of Thrones’
- 82 queer TV shows to stream on Netflix
- Black & Pink pen pal program (sign up to start conversing with an incarcerated LGBTQ+ person!)
- update March 19 8:53p: I’ve been told that email communication is preferred now because of contamination concerns with physical mail. More info on how to participate forthcoming.
- Peloton App is offering a 90-day free trial (meditation, yoga, and other workouts)
- Check out this other extensive resource list with categories for entertainment, financial health, mental health, physical health, resources for parents, for students/learning, and more (includes 360* tours of national parks, free virtual art lessons, and more!).
- Passion Planner