Do you or someone you know have the writing chops to seek out and deliver compelling stories on Richmond’s music, art, food, beer, and political and cultural scenes? Well you’e in luck, because the editors of RVA Mag and GayRVA.com are in need of editorial and video interns for our upcoming fall session!
We’re looking to fill about eight slots for people who are passionate, creative, hard-working, and willing to learn and better themselves under the guidance of two professional media outlets here in Richmond.
Ideal candidates will:
- Attend college and be in need of 2-3 credits through their scholastic program
- Have 2-3 days availability during the week, with the freedom to attend events in the evening
- Have a laptop, digital camera, digital voice recorder, and/or smart phone
- Be willing to work hard
- Understand the responsibilities involved when committing to a project
- Have experience writing non-fiction
- Have an open mind, with the willingness to cover issues and topics that might be all together new to you
Attending a college program is not required, but those not in a program should be able to show a history of successful writing or commitment to a long-term project.
Editorial Internship Details:
1. Writing – You will be responsible for some of the more regular weekly content (event previews, album reviews, business listing updates, etc)
2. Interviewing – you will be speaking to LOTS of different people. The voices of the community help define a publication, and you will be seeking out those voices.
3. Pitching and developing long-form stories – we want to help you get published, we want to see you succeed. We’ll help you get there.
Video Intern Details
We are looking for several individuals who can ideally pitch, shoot, edit and produce compelling video on breaking news and feature stories for RVAMag.com as well as GayRVA.com and our social media. Candidates should be studying journalism, film, or another related field, but all applicants with video or multimedia experience will be considered. Must have strong narrative storytelling skills, ability to meet deadlines, and ability to work with video team. Those who own or are familiar with a DSLR camera will be considered first. Experience with Final Cut Pro, Final Cut X or similar video editing software a plus. Please send resume, cover letter, reel and any related work to Landon Shroder at [email protected].
What you will get out of it:
- An understanding of the daily operations of an independent publication in a medium market town
- The independence to cover stories and issues which interest you
- Lots and lots of clips
- Long form and short form writing experience
- Multi-media web-based project experience
- Access to shows, parties, and events
What we need from you:
Availability from Aug. 22nd – Dec. 16th
Cover letter detailing why we should bring you on board
One short writing sample
Please send an email to Amy David at [email protected] and put “Internship Submission” as the subject line. Deadline for submission is August 13. Both are unpaid internships.
WE ARE ALWAYS SEEKING TO DIVERSIFY OUR NEWS ROOM! LGBTQ and minority students are very much encouraged to apply. Help us better resemble the city we work in!