It’s that time of year again, time for everything creepy, crawly, ghouls and ghosts. And while you have busy rushing around trying to put together the finishing touches on your Pennywise or Stranger Things costume, Hardywood Park Craft Brewery & RVA Magazine have been busy preparing another week of great spooky fun for you to enjoy through this coming weekend with our annual Halloweek celebration.
This year, we have plenty of tricks and treats up our sleeve for this week-long celebration, which kicks off tomorrow Oct. 24, from various music events, costume contests, The 13th Annual Richmond Zombie Walk, The Halloween Parade and a slew of other happenings to give you all the chills and thrills you crave.
We are updating as we go, so check back and be sure to keep up on our Facebook page and keep up us on social media with the hashtag #Halloweek2017, but in the meantime, check out the rundown of Halloweek 2017 events below:
Tuesday, Oct 24th (Kickoff) :
– Skate and Destroy Night at Hardywood 6pm to 9pm. THe kickoff to Halloweek!! Presented by the RASA – Richmond Area Skateboard Alliance, this event will be a mashup of skate videos, skate trivia, tunes by some local DJs and a raffle to benefit the Texas Beach skatepark!
Wednesday, Oct 25th:
– Salsa on the Roof at Kabana Rooftop 6pm -12
Thursday, Oct 26th:
– Fall Finale Food Truck Court with Full Moon Fever! at Hardywood 5:30 – 9:30
Friday, Oct 27th:
– WKNDR & Man About a Horse at Hardywood 6-10pm
Saturday, Oct 28th:
– Richmond Zombie Walk 1 PM – 4 PM. Benefiting the American Cancer Society. The 13th Annual Richmond Zombie Walk will take place on Saturday, October 28th. Pre-walk meet up/staging area location at 1pm will be held at Boat Lake at Byrd Park (on Boat Lake Drive) and the actual walk will begin on the sidewalk across the street from the Byrd Theatre (2901 W Cary St, Richmond, VA 23221) in Carytown immediately after at about 2:30p. Please arrive in costume.
//FOR ALL PARTICIPATING ZOMBIES:
There are 2 locations
1. 1:00 p.m. – Meet up spot/ Staging area – Boat Lake at Byrd Park (on Boat Lake Drive). This is where we can gather together to go over the rules, collect donations, give out prizes, and take lots and lots of photos.
Plan your rides! This starting point is about 1 mile from the initial meet up spot at Boat Lake at Byrd Park.
2. 2:30-3:00 p.m. – Immediately after that, we’ll head on over to the starting point which is on the sidewalk across the street from the Byrd Theatre in Carytown (2901 W Cary St, Richmond, VA 23221)
We’ll walk down the same side of the street on Cary Street heading west, cross at Nansemond Street, and walk back down Cary street on the other side all the way down and end at the Byrd Theatre (2908 W Cary St. Richmond, VA 23221) FOR ALL OTHER HUMANS:
You can enjoy the shops in Carytown while waiting for the zombie horde to arrive. If you can’t be a zombie, be the food, right?
Our activities benefit The American Cancer Society. We won’t require anyone to make a donation, but if everyone can pitch in $5 each, it will be much appreciated.
Here are the categories we’ll be judging. Prizes will be awarded at the pre-walk meet up.
– Most Disgusting
– Best Couple/Group Theme
– Best Pop Culture Theme (TV/Movie/Comic/Gaming)
– Best Zombie Kid
– 2017 Zombie of the Year (Best Overall)You can get all the creepy details here.
– Hoax Release at Hardywood 1 pm
Saturday, starting at 1 pm, Hardywood releases its highly anticipated Hoax brew, which is their base imperial milk stout, Cassowary, aged one year in traditional brandy barrels. Hoax is another behemoth of a beer joining its fellow crafty misfits, Trickery, Foolery & Ruse, yet remaining unbelievably smooth. Expect a super chewy milk stout with bold oak tannins and notes of grape jam, ripe plums, and dried dates. Quantities and bottle limits are TBD. Spooky Cool, Blush Face, Angelica Garcia, & Private Cry will perform. Release Starts at 1pm – music, and bands 6 pm!!
– Alice in Wonderland Halloween Costume Contest at Society 8pm -2am Dance party
Sunday, Oct 29th:
– Washers & Horizontal Hold at Hardywood 3pm
–Silent Music Revival Presents creepy Segundo de Chomón (1907-1908) with live soundtrack by: Angelica Garcia at Gallery 5. 8 PM-9:30 PM. All ages. Donations appreciated. The event is presented in partnership with James River Film Society.
Monday, Oct 30th:
HALLOBEER is back! The Answer Brewpub, RVA Magazine & Hardywood Park Craft Brewery present these year’s HALLOBEER! Join us for a special All Hallows eve RVA Appreciation Night with live music performed by our friends Mekong Xpress & The Get Fresh Horns. They’ll be doing a special Tower of Power set!! Music starts around 9:30pm. *Costume Contest during set break, with special Andals and Brews all night.
Be on the lookout for another article on this delicious, spooky brew this week.
Tuesday 31st HALLOWEEN!:
– HalloWEEK in The Beet Costume Contest -7pm – 9pm
– Richmond 12th Annual Halloween Parade 2017 7pm – 10pm
Richmond’s 12th Annual Halloween Parade presented by ALL THE SAINTS THEATER COMPANY is right around the corner!
Guys and gals and all non-binary conforming pals, join us in this all-inclusive Richmond tradition! Dress up in a costume, make your own giant puppets or flags, and/or volunteer to assist with our giant puppets, flags, props and more!
We are so excited to continue this yearly Richmond Halloween tradition! Join us as we take the streets in celebration of our 12th year with costumes, live music, dancing, creativity, puppetry, and camaraderie! 7pm sharp. The corner of Main St. and Laurel across from the usual Monroe Park meeting spot (near VCU Campus). A Funeral March for the Confederacy! We will celebrate the times and honor the dead. We will march with a massive skeleton horse and other Day of the Dead-style massive puppets! And it is our honor to host (all the way back from the dead) confederate used horses against the statues! Also, a huge animal contingent of “Animals Against Racist Humans” (A.A.R.H.).
We will be introducing a brand new beautiful statue of Harriet Tubman, and also a large contingent of skeleton butterflies with Mother Earth who will present her massive monarch wings and devote her power to protecting DACA! Our stilters will be our Angel Messengers of the Manifesto of Tomorrow, our owning and denouncing of the truths of the past and our collective intention for a future that says sorry, and that devotes all actions to a future without racists and fascists, where we all stand together against an Imperial Presidency!
Other favorite puppets of the past will also be joining us and we hope you will too!
— FIND HALLOWEEK Events on Halloweekrva.com —